Thursday, May 9, 2013

Interview with Jane Doe

I did an interview with a family friend who wishes to remain anonymous to reasons that you will find out later in the interview. To keep a flow in the conversation, she will be referred to as Jane Doe.


A brief background of Jane Doe. She is of Nigerian decent, in her early thirties, successful in her line of work and is a lesbian.



Question: You live in American, where gay marriage is legal in 11 states, yet some of the closest people to    you do not even know your gay, why?


Jane Doe: I was actually born in Nigeria and I am very close to my family and culture that I find it difficult telling them the truth. I come from a country where no one openly admits their gay because the consequences by law leads to death. My family has openly vocalize that being gay is the same as being Satan's best friend and would even disown the person. So how can I feel comfortable saying that I am gay to them.



Question: Do you ever plan on telling them?


Jane Doe: If God gives me strength, yes. I am not mentally or emotionally prepared for the trauma that is to come after the news.



Question: Are you in a relationship?


Jane Doe: Yes and very happy



Question: How does she feel about you not telling your relatives about your true self?


Jane Doe: It is very difficult for her to understand because her family knows and accepts her for who she is. We went to school together and have been together for over 7 years. When I bring around my family, they assume and still thinks she is my best friend, which she is as well. She is also of a different race and background so I find myself not only explaining the mentality of the Nigerian people but also their lifestyle. It has proven to be very stressful to our relationship.



Question: So your more than of age to be married and have kids, have you been getting complaints?


Jane Doe: I am the last born out of 9 kids and the last born tend to get away with murder. Surprisingly, the push and pressure to be married is not as high for me. Now my eldest sister was practically forced to marry at 23.


Question: Do want kids?


Jane Doe: Yes, I do. I would love to adopt. My girlfriend wants to actually carry a child so it is something we are still debating about.


Question: Looking at you, I would never think you were a lesbian because you come off very feminine.


Jane Doe: (laughs) I laugh because in this day and age most people still picture lesbians as "wanna-be men" where we bandage our breast and cut our hair short. Although there are some who fit the physical description, being gay is a personal lifestyle and doesn't necessarily have to deal with your physical appearance.


Question: Do get hit on by men?

Jane Doe:  Yes I do and my reaction to both genders hitting on me is pretty much the same. I give the signature school girl smirk and eyelash batting.


Question: When did you realize that you were gay?

Jane Doe: I don't know when I knew exactly I was gay. I say that because society makes you believe that being gay is wrong and my family made it worse. But I came to terms with my sexuality at the age of 14, which is relatively young. Realizing this, I have never been in a relationship with a man.


Question: Do you get curious of what it may be like to be in a relationship with a man?
Jane Doe: Do you get curious on what it is like to be in a relationship with a girl?


I answered Jane Doe's question with a no and that is where the interview concluded. I definitely feel her pain as far as not feeling comfortable to talk to her family about her sexuality because it is even a struggle to get my own parents to understand that it is fine for people to date and marry outside of their race. 




No comments:

Post a Comment