Tuesday, April 2, 2013

An Okinanwan Wedding


I had the chance of attending a traditional Okinawan wedding a few years ago. While attending the wedding, I was completely lost as to what was happening around me. Even though I did have a few people that would fill me in on what was going on, I was still lost. It was not until must later that I researched on the ceremony that I finally understood what everything meant. Although some parts seemed strange, I thought it was a great wedding ceremony to learn about and share.







You see the bride in traditional Japanese wedding kimonos






The bride then changes to a red Japanese kimono. In this picture, the couple is offering a toast to those attending the wedding



Cousins of the bride are performing a dance of happiness before the ceremony begins





The lower material of the groom’s kimono is then changed into white





Relatives from the groom’s side perform an Okinawan dance which resembles karate






Niece and nephews from the bride’s side then perform a more modern dance while the mothers hold a banner congratulating the new couple.



Okinawa Eisa Dance is then performed by friends and family from the groom’s side. At this time, the attendees are encouraged to participate.





The couple is now re-introduced in western style wedding attire.






The couple cuts the cake.




The couple then changes into comfortable, dance appropriate outfits.





While the lights are dimmed, the couple pour everything from separate decanters into a large cup which symbolizes “everything together” for the rest of their lives.



The couple then closes the ceremony by promising to forever love and be faithful to one another. The rest of the evening is left for dancing.





No comments:

Post a Comment